St Mary Immaculate, Tauranga
While the first Catholic church in Tauranga was located in Otumoetai, it fell into disrepair during the time of the New Zealand Wars. A church has stood on the site of St Mary Immaculate Church in central Tauranga since 1871. A number of different church buildings have graced the site:
- 1871 St Mary’s Church (now at the Historic Village, 17th Ave)
- 1888: Star of the Sea Church (now at Bethlehem College)
- 1956: St Mary Immaculate Church (now the sacristy, meeting room, overflow room, etc)
- 1991: the present St Mary Immaculate Church
The former presbytery at St Mary Immaculate is now the administration centre for St Thomas Aquinas Parish.