St Joseph’s, Matakana Island
Father Holierhoek built the first Catholic church on Matakana Island in 1917. While the early priests were rowed to the island in a dinghy, Bishop Henry Cleary flew to Matakana by seaplane in March 1920 to confer the sacrament of Confirmation! (Nowadays the priests are ferried to the island on very fast boats, weather permitting.)
The old church at Matakana fell into disrepair, and was replaced by a beautiful concrete block church in 1977, dedicated by Bishop John Mackey.
Mass is celebrated at St Joseph’s, Matakana Island, on the 4th Sunday of each month at about 11am – depending on the tide!
In January 2015, a large group of parishioners from Te Puna, Tauranga, Mt Maunganui, Katikati and beyond travelled by barge to Matakana to celebrate the foundation of the new Parish of St Thomas Aquinas.